Welcome to the blog of the READ research group

Welcome to the blog of the Reaction Engineering & Adsorption (READ) Research Group.

Friday 29 January 2016

My Personal Training Experience at READ Research Group

My Personal Training Experience at READ Research Group
By: Fatma Marrakchi

As an engineer and junior researcher, the strongest sense of pride comes from riding the tides of the times and demonstrating passion and talent in working to achieve an important goal. The last thing we want is to face big unexpected challenges or obstacles, which can cause major delays, increase expenses, or lead to unplanned complications. Just start! Jumping into the deep end is the first step. This allows you to get a feel for the challenges you will face and what you need to do to succeed.
My training experience began after contacting Prof. Bassim to express my interest in joining his Reaction Engineering & Adsorption (READ) Group at the School of Chemical Engineering of Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) for a period of six months. The application process to attend the training was organized by USAINS Holding. I did not have any prior experience about the procedure of the application, but the application process was prepared me for the challenges to come and boosted my confidence. I would like to take this time to acknowledge the efforts and support of Mr. Khairol Mohammed Anuar, the manager of the Training & Educational Program, in processing my application.
My first day at READ Lab was one of my most memorable days in USM. Prof. Bassim talked about many interesting things, such as security and safety inside and outside of the university and his laboratory works. Furthermore, Prof. Bassim gave me a tour in the laboratory and showed me all of the experimental setups and facilities related to the preparation of activated carbons.
During the first week, Prof. Bassim asked me to read some research articles on the production of activated carbons to obtain fundamental knowledge on the topic before I started my laboratory work. He always pushed my thinking limits to the maximum by challenging me to come up with different solutions to one problem that showed my problem-solving ability. In the same time, I was excited and enthusiastic to start the training. I presented some ideas and methods on the preparation of activated carbons from olive wood. Every day in the laboratory was different, and I became really adept at time management during this time. Although everyone I met was incredibly friendly and keen to help, it was a challenging environment for me because I am expected to produce excellent results. I found myself working late sometimes to complete my research works, but this sacrifice is the trade-off for stimulating, challenging work. Other than the production of activated carbons from olive wood trees, the training was extended to the preparation of activated carbons from Tunisian agricultural wastes to create new low-cost adsorbents from different locally available materials.
My supervisor Prof. Bassim is a gifted professor who gave me a great opportunity to learn. He demonstrated an amazing ability to engage students who join his READ Group with various levels of preparation and motivation. Prof. Bassim is an excellent research leader, an expert in his field, and an internationally recognized researcher. He is generous with his time and ideas and is willing to put in the extra time to help his research team members. His easy going personality and intelligence make him an asset to any collaborative team whether as a leader or a contributor. During my training, I was impressed with how excellent he is at managing his research group, guiding his students, and executing his research projects.
Communication via email was also an important learning platform for me. Prof. Bassim always replied my e-mails promptly. I consider myself blessed to be part of his research group.  
I have tried to learn as much as possible from him and his research managing style. It was a pleasure to be under the supervision of Prof. Bassim, and I would not hesitate to work with him again in the future.
I also enjoyed many opportunities to learn about the laboratory activities through other opportunities such as observing the final year research projects and interacting with postgraduate students who are working on different research topics. This wonderful experience enabled me to learn beyond the scope of my research topic.


My time at READ Group was a fantastic training experience opportunity where I rapidly developed not only transferable skills but also my confidence. At the end of the training course, I was sad to leave because I know I would miss the friendly atmosphere within the lab. Everyone in the group was very kind and accommodating. They made me feel welcome from day one. I enjoyed my training, but I still have a lot to learn. I have decided to pursue further studies in my country by applying for a PhD program in chemical engineering and plan to join the READ Group as an international PhD attachment student. I am looking forward to meet Prof. Bassim again and to conduct research works under his supervision.